The New South Wales Tennis Centre was chosen as the venue for the Olympic Tennis Event and the matches were played on outdoor hard courts (Reb. Ace). The venue has one main show court which holds 10,000 people, 2 other show courts holding 4,000 and 2,000, and 7 other courts.
The USA, led by the Williams sisters, proved too powerful for the competition in the women’s events, with Venus overcoming Russian Elena Dementieva, winning 62 64, and then teaming up with Serena to win the doubles against the Dutch pairing of Kristie Boogert and Miriam Oremans 61 61.
The men’s competition was a lot more spread out. Russian Yevgeny Kafelnikov defeated German youngster Tommy Haas in a thrilling 5-setter 76(4) 36 62 46 63.
In the men’s doubles competition, there was a slight upset as No. 4 seeds, Canadian duo Sebastien Lareau and Daniel Nestor overcame No. 1 seeds Todd Woodbridge and Mark Woodforde of Australia 57 63 64 76(2).
- Gold: Yevgeny Kafelnikov (RUS)
- Silver: Tommy Haas (GER)
- Bronze: Arnaud Di Pasquale (FRA)
- Gold: Sebastien Lareau / Daniel Nestor (CAN)
- Silver: Tood Woodbridge / Mark Woodforde (AUS)
- Bronze: Alex Corretja / Albert Costa (ESP)
- Gold: Venus Williams (USA)
- Silver: Elena Dementieva (RUS)
- Bronze: Monica Seles (USA)
- Gold: Serena Williams / Venus Williams (USA)
- Silver: Kristie Boogert / Miriam Oremans (NED)
- Bronze: Els Callens / Dominique Van Roost (BEL)