Stone Mountain Tennis Centre was a custom-built venue specifically for the Atlanta 96 Olympic Games. There were 16 courts used throughout the event, including a main stadium court which held 7,200 spectators. The matches were played on hard courts (Plexipave).
Home soil proved key as the USA team won 3 of the 4 medals on offer. Andre Agassi dominated the men’s singles event, sweeping aside Sergei Bruguera in the final 62 63 61.
The women’s singles event was a slightly closer affair, but with the same outcome – American Lindsay Davenport defeating Arantxa Sanchez Vicario of Spain 76(8) 62.
There were no surprises in the doubles competitions as both top seeds won comfortably. Gigi Fernandez and Mary Joe Fernandez defeated Czech pairing Jana Novotna and Helena Sukova 76(6) 64 to make it a treble for the USA, and, in the men’s doubles, Australian pairing Todd Woodbridge and Mark Woodforde overcame spirited British duo Neil Broad and Tim Henman 64 64 62.
- Gold: Andre Agassi (USA)
- Silver: Sergei Bruguera (ESP)
- Bronze: Leander Paes (IND)
- Gold: Todd Woodbridge / Mark Woodforde (AUS)
- Silver: Neil Broad / Tim Henman (GBR)
- Bronze: Marc-Kevin Goellner / David Prinosil (GER)
- Gold: Lindsay Davenport (USA)
- Silver: Arantxa Sanchez Vicario (ESP)
- Bronze: Jana Novotna (CZE)
- Gold: Gigi Fernandez / Mary Joe Fernandez (USA)
- Silver: Jana Novotna / Helena Sukova (CZE)
- Bronze: Conchita Martinez / Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP)