25 Jan 2018

Alcott and Davidson clinch quad doubles title

News Article

Photo: Takeo TanumaDylan Alcott and Heath Davidson (AUS)

Dylan Alcott and Heath Davidson go head-to-head in Friday’s remaining quad singles round-robin match at the Australian Open – a contest that will see the winner go through to meet world No.1 David Wagner in Saturday’s final.

But ahead of the two remaining matches for one of the two Australians, they teamed up on Thursday’s second day of play at Melbourne Park to win the first wheelchair tennis Grand Slam final of the year.

Alcott and Davidson became the latest partnership to add their names to the Australian Open quad doubles roll of honour after a fascinating final against three-time champions Andy Lapthorne and Wagner that was not short on drama.

With Lapthorne having contended with injury in the build-up to the Australian Open, so-much-so that he withdrew from the Sydney International and the Melbourne Open and delayed his departure from Britain to Australia, last year’s quad singles runner-up has had a difficult two days in singles competition.

He started the second day of competition with a 62 61 loss to Davidson and the first set of the doubles final also proved one-sided as Alcott and Davidson took it 6-0 in just 23 minutes.

However, Lapthorne and Wagner dug deep to stay with the Rio Paralympic gold medallists in the second set and Lapthorne forced the error from Davidson’s racket in the tiebreak that ensured a deciding match tiebreak.

From 5-3 up in the match break the Australians were pegged back to 6-6, but a run of four points in a row finally brought them a 60 67(5) (10-6) victory and their first Grand Slam title together, much to the delight of the enthusiastic home crowd.

“It was great to get the win together today, you know. We got the Paralympic gold and now we’ve finally got a Grand Slam doubles title under our belt, but he still wants to ditch me,” joked Davidson.

“It was awesome. The crowd was great and that was live on Channel 7 - 1.6 million people watching that match tiebreak. Incredible,” said Alcott, who took a week off from competing himself to work as a broadcaster for the aforementioned TV network during the first week of play at Melbourne Park.