1 - 7 June 2014
Outdoor red clay
Court Philippe Chatrier - 14,840 capacity
Court Suzanne Lenglen - 10,068 capacity
Established in 1891 as a one-day men’s singles championships reserved for members of the French clubs, Roland Garros (the French Open) was first held at the Stade Francais club in Paris. The tournament opened its doors to women in 1897 and internationals in 1925. The French Internationals were born and staged alternately at Stade Francais and Racing Club de France until the Roland Garros stadium was built in 1928.
The first junior draw was held for boys in 1947 and for girls in 1953. Doubles events for both sexes were added in 1981.
The Roland Garros site is today made up of two main show courts, the 15,000-capacity Philippe Chatrier Court and Suzanne Lenglen Court and 20 other courts. Plans are underway for an expanded and modernised site to be opened in 2016, including a revamped Philippe Chatrier Court equipped with retractable roof.
The famous red clay of Roland Garros is actually made up of white limestone, dusted with several millimetres of powdered red brick dust. Beneath the three-inch limestone layer is six inches of volcanic rock, a three-foot layer of sand, all sitting on a bed of concrete.
There have been numerous winners of the junior draws at Roland Garros who have gone on to have great success in the future. The Open era has seen the likes of John McEnroe, Ivan Lendl, Henri Leconte and Mats Wilander all triumph on the red clay. On the women's side Justie Henin, Amelie Mauresmo and Martina Hingis all displayed their early promise by winning at Roland Garros.