Australia’s bid to break back into the World Group was given a significant boost this week when Bernard Tomic announced that he is committed to playing for his country once again.
The 20-year-old Queenslander, who was left out of the Australian team to play Chinese Taipei in February’s first round, had previously said that he would not be available to compete until September at the earliest, but he has had a change of heart.
“The Davis Cup is going to be held after this [Miami],” said Tomic on Thursday. “We’re going to train in Munich when everyone’s done here and then play against Uzbekistan. It’s not going to be a pretty place but I’m looking forward to it. We have got a good team now. I think we should win and Davis Cup is back on the roll for me and I’m going to try my heart out when it comes.”
Tomic, who at No. 45 in the world is currently Australian No. 1, has a good Davis Cup singles record, winning eight of the 10 rubbers that he has contested and his return to the fold will give Pat Rafter’s team the edge ahead of the Asia/Oceania Zone Group I 2nd round clash with Uzbekistan.
He added: “It was always a dream for me to play Davis Cup at a young age and you want to represent your country whenever you can and to get the opportunity back is huge and I’m really looking forward to it.”
The winner of April’s 2nd round clash at the Sport Complex "Pahlavon" in Namangan will earn a place in September’s World Group play-offs, with a spot in the top tier at stake.
Australia has lost in the World Group play-offs for the last three years and is looking to return to compete against the best teams in the world for the first time since 2007.
The draw for September’s World Group play-offs takes place at the ITF headquarters in London on 10 April.