Beach Tennis is a rapidly growing sport and is increasingly attracting widespread interest around the world.
The ITF Beach Tennis Tour (BTT) is no exception and, since it began in 2008, has already seen an increase of nearly six times the number of tournaments on the ITF BTT calendar.
This trend is expected to continue into the future as more countries succumb to the irresistible nature of the game.
- ITF assumes responsibility for the development of the Beach Tennis Tour around the globe.
- First European Beach Tennis Championships of the ITF era take place with Rome, Italy hosting.
- Beach Tennis World Championships are staged for the first time in Rome, Italy.
- Turkey assume the role as hosts of the European Beach Tennis Championships, which is the first major tournament to take place outside of Italy.
- Stage 2 (orange) balls replace the Stage 1 (green) balls as the approved ball for beach tennis.
- European Beach Tennis Championships move to Albena, Bulgaria.
- 19 June 2012 sees the launch of the new look website
- The first ITF Beach Tennis World Team Championship takes place in Moscow, Russia.
- Start of three year deal which sees the European Beach Tennis Championships hosted in Borgo Maggiore, San Marino.
- The Beach Tennis World Championships leave Italy for the first time with the new host becoming Burgas City, Bulgaria.
- Topspin, a German tennis and beach tennis manufacturer of 25+ years who produces rackets, balls and clothing for tennis and beach tennis along with tennis racket string, sign contract in April to become sponsors of the Beach Tennis World Championships for 2012 and 2013
- From January points counting towards a player's ranking was increased from 'best 4' to 'best 6'
- Rankings released on 29 April, saw a move to a weekly update. Points can be considered among a player's 'best 6' on the Monday ranking release date 3-weeks after a tournament's w/c date.
- Announcement in June of the addition of a Pan American Championships to the 2013 calendar which becomes a fourth major Championships on the Beach Tennis Tour.
- 9 September 2013 rankings revealed Brazilian pair Samantha Barijan and Joana Cortez had become the first non-Italian players - male or female - to hold the top ranking!
- 16 June saw Brazilian Vini Font ascend to the number one ranking to become first non-Italian to top the men's world rankings.
- 24 nations compete in World Team Championship; a new record!
- The final day of the World Team Championship was streamed live for the first time.