Fed Cup by BNP Paribas is the world's largest annual international team competition in women's sport with 107 nations entered in 2017.
The prestigious ITF event, which sits alongside Davis Cup by BNP Paribas in the men's game, gives players the chance to represent their country in an otherwise individual sport.
The competition was launched as the Federation Cup in 1963 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the ITF. An American team led by Billie Jean King won the inaugural title at The Queen's Club in London, and the event has continued to attract the best players in the women's game.
Among the all-time greats to represent their nation are Margaret Court, Virginia Wade, Evonne Goolagong, Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Hana Mandlikova, Steffi Graf, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, Lindsay Davenport, Monica Seles, Martina Hingis, Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin, Maria Sharapova, and Venus and Serena Williams.
The event title was shortened to Fed Cup in 1994 and the following year the format of the competition changed. The week-long finals were terminated in favour of a World Group and World Group II, and ties started being played on a home-and-away basis.
This system is still used today with eight nations contesting a World Group knock-out draw over three weekends during the year to decide who is crowned champion. The next eight nations compete in World Group II and the remaining nations are split into three regional Zones, with promotion and relegation up for grabs on an annual basis between all Groups.
BNP Paribas became Fed Cup's first Title Sponsor in 2005, mirroring the company's support of Davis Cup. The partnership started with a bang when France and Russia contested a classic Final in front of a packed Philippe Chatrier Court at Roland Garros. The other current partner is Adecco.
Czech Republic won its fifth title in six years when it defeated France 3-2 in Strasbourg in the 2016 Final. Karolina Pliskova and Barbora Strycova clinched the victory in a decisive doubles rubber for the second straight year.
With 17 Fed Cup titles to their name, USA are the most successful nation in the competition. Czech Republic is second with 10 wins, Australia is third with seven, then Spain is fourth with five.
For more information about Fed Cup by BNP Paribas, including drawsheets, results, news and photos, visit the competition's official website.
World Group first round 11-12 February
- Czech Republic v Spain, Ostrava
- USA v Germany, Maui, HI.
- Belarus v Netherlands, Minsk
- Switzerland v France, Geneva
World Group II first round 11-12 February
- Russia v Chinese Taipei, Moscow
- Romania v Belgium, Bucharest
- Ukraine v Australia, Kharkiv
- Italy v Slovakia, Forli
World Group semifinals 22-23 April
World Group play-offs 22-23 April
World Group II play-offs 22-23 April
World Group Final 11-12 November
World Group first round 6-7 February
- Romania 2-3 Czech Republic, Cluj-Napoca
- Germany 2-3 Switzerland, Leipzig
- France 4-1 Italy, Marseille
- Russia 1-3 Netherlands, Moscow
World Group II first round 6-7 February
- Slovakia 2-3 Australia, Bratislava
- Canada 2-3 Belarus, Quebec City
- USA 4-0 Poland, Kailua Kona
- Serbia 0-4 Spain, Kraljevo
World Group semifinals 16-17 April
- Czech Republic 3-2 Switzerland, Lucerne
- France 3-2 Netherlands, Trelaze
World Group play-offs 16-17 April
- Russia 2-3 Belarus, Moscow
- Spain 4-0 Italy, Lleida
- Romania 1-4 Germany, Cluj-Napoca
- Australia 0-4 USA, Brisbane
World Group II play-offs 16-17 April
- Serbia 2-3 Belgium, Belgrade
- Slovakia 3-2 Canada, Bratislava
- Poland 1-4 Chinese Taipei, Inowroclaw
- Ukraine 4-0 Argentina, Kiev
World Group Final 12-13 November
- France 2-3 Czech Republic, Strasbourg