Davis Cup by BNP Paribas is the world's largest annual international team competition in sport with 125 nations entering in 2013.
The prestigious ITF event, which is one of the cornerstones of the tennis calendar, gives players the chance to represent their country in an otherwise individual sport.
Founded by Dwight Davis in 1900, the Davis Cup began as a challenge match between USA and British Isles, which was held at the Longwood Cricket Club in Boston. Davis himself played in the inaugural tie, steering his country to the first of many titles.
From its inception, Davis Cup has attracted the top players of each generation, from former legends such as Fred Perry, Bill Tilden, Rene Lacoste, Rod Laver, Jimmy Connors, Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe, to latter day stars such as Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.
The current World Group format was adopted in 1981, whereby 16 nations contest a knock-out draw over four weekends during the year to decide who is crowned champion. The remaining nations are split into three regional Zones, with promotion and relegation up for grabs on an annual basis between all Groups.
The start of the World Group also coincided with NEC becoming the competition's Title Sponsor, a partnership that lasted 20 years. BNP Paribas took over the role in 2002 and remain Davis Cup's Title Sponsor to this day. The other current partners are Adecco, HP, Hugo Boss, NH Hoteles, Rolex and Wilson.
In 2013, the 101st edition of the competition, Czech Republic defeated Serbia 3-2 in the final in Belgrade. This was the second consecutive title for the Czechs, following their win over Spain in the 2012 final in Prague.
USA are the most successful Davis Cup nation, having lifted the trophy 32 times. The Americans are closely followed by Australia on 28, while France and Great Britain are in equal third place with nine wins each.
For more information about Davis Cup by BNP Paribas, including drawsheets, results, news and photos, visit the competition's official website.
World Group first round 31 January-2 February
- Czech Republic v Netherlands, Ostrava
- Japan v Canada, Tokyo
- Germany v Spain, Frankfurt
- France v Australia, La Roche sur Yon
- USA v Great Britain, San Diego
- Argentina v Italy, TBC
- Kazakhstan v Belgium, Astana
- Serbia v Switzerland, TBC
World Group quarterfinals 4-6 July
World Group semifinals & play-offs 12-15 September
World Group Final 21-23 November
World Group first round 1-3 February
- Canada 3-2 Spain, Vancouver
- Italy 3-2 Croatia, Turin
- Belgium 2-3 Serbia, Charleroi
- USA 3-2 Brazil, Jacksonville
- France 5-0 Israel, Rouen
- Argentina 5-0 Germany, Buenos Aires
- Kazakhstan 3-1 Austria, Astana
- Switzerland 2-3 Czech Republic, Geneva
World Group quarterfinals 5-7 July
- Canada 3-1 Italy, Vancouver
- USA 1-3 Serbia, Boise
- Argentina 3-2 France, Buenos Aires
- Kazakhstan 1-3 Czech Republic, Astana
World Group semifinals 13-15 September
- Serbia 3-2 Canada, Belgrade
- Czech Republic 3-2 Argentina, Prague
World Group play-offs 13-15 September
- Spain 5-0 Ukraine, Madrid
- Netherlands 5-0 Austria, Groningen
- Croatia 1-4 Great Britain, Umag
- Switzerland 4-1 Ecuador, Neuchatel
- Germany 4-1 Brazil, Neu-Ulm
- Poland 1-4 Australia, Warsaw
- Belgium 3-2 Israel, Antwerp
- Japan 3-2 Colombia, Tokyo
World Group Final 15-17 November
- Serbia 2-3 Czech Republic, Belgrade